Friday, 14 June 2013

From Friends to Strangers

I read an article on friendship the other day, which provoked me to evaluate some of the closest friends I've had over the years. What really stood out for me in that piece is that, friends are replaced after a cycle of seven years. You can read the article here. Yes, friends are also replaced like old, worn out tires after they've run their course and served their purpose in your life. This reminded me of an incident I experienced not so long ago.

I was in a bus the other day heading to town. My best friend from way back in primary school boarded the same bus and sat next to me. I was ecstatic because I had not seen her in more than twelve years and here she was sitting next to me. It must be fate, I thought to myself. I called her by name with a big grin on my face. I couldn't wait to hear all about her life and also tell her about mine. "Hi! It's been years, how have you been? How is your family?" To which she replied with one blanket "fine" to all my questions, as if we were acquaintances who had merely met once at a seminar. Evidently, she was not as enthusiastic as I was and this shocked me. I wondered whether this was the same person I had sleepovers with as a child and even shared our lunch at school (especially when one of us was eating chips).So, I just sat there with my grin slowly fading into a very awkward smile. She then told me a quick "nice to see you", as she nonchalantly put on her earphones and even pulled out a novel from her bag and started reading. I couldn't help but feel like I was one of those annoying passengers who sit next to you and ask your opinion on the new bill that was passed in parliament. Needless to say, the rest of the journey was a VERY quiet one as looked outside the window counting the number of bus stops to town.

After this incident,I realized that some friends are seasonal. Once, their purpose and time is served in your life, you part ways and hopefully make new friends. So, always treasure the time you have with your friends because all you might end up with in future, is memories. Your best friend today may be a total stranger tomorrow.

 Have a lovely weekend and thank you for stopping by…xoxo!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha..am sorry bt i couldn't help but laugh and feel sorry at the same time for you...that is just unbelievable then it seems friendships do have an expiry period depending on how they are stored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant Evelyne...I love your article very much, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony friendships do have an expiry date and it's a lesson I learnt the hard way,thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You John I definitely will continue.

    ReplyDelete